Wednesday, November 5, 2014

It's a crazy...busy...exciting World!

It's been too long! Life has been crazy, busy, and exciting! 

  As I mentioned before, I presented at the 2014 KAHPERD conference at Pitt State University last Thursday!  It went very well!  So well that I had a few districts approach me about doing inservices for them!  Exciting!  I dream of one day teaching teachers, and I feel like this may be the beginning!  It was honestly one of the best moments in my teaching career.  To be able to share with PE teachers and adminstrator's from across the state was amazing.  Below is the flyer that I gave out at the conference.  Of course I also got to learn while at the conference!  I cannot wait to try some of the stuff out with my classes! 

      I returned home from KAHPERD last Friday.  I had a fantastic weekend with my family, and quickly got ready to present again at my Districts #techfest on Monday.  I quickly found out (you know about 5 minutes before my presentation) that it wasn't just going to be PE teachers in my session....gasp!  My heart started pounding rather fast.  I took a deep breath and moved forward, I knew everything I did could be modified for the "normal" classroom as well.  One of my colleagues showed me this comment....made by a gifted instructor in our district. 

      The first comment is what I am talking about.  Can you say humbled....humbled I am.  Again, a highlight and turning point in my teaching career.  Today, I open Facebook and notice I have been tagged in a post.  The lady who tagged me is a "legend" (she is going to laugh when she see's that, but its the truth) in the physical education world in my district.  She has been teaching for many years, and never do you hear anything but how wonderful she is.  I consider her a mentor. 


     Wowzers.  Wowzers.  Honestly, it brought tears to my eyes!  I love what I do.  I love sharing and helping others.  I love making a difference in the lives of the children I teach.  If technology (ipads) is the tool I get to use to promote kids being healthy, than I am thrilled.  Never did I dream that when I signed up to learn about ipads, I would be where I am at today.  Blessed, I am blessed. 

    Okay, moving away from the sappy part of the blog! :)  I found myself truly missing my classes!  I was out of the classroom for a week!  I came back today renewed and ready to go!   Everyone has played Sharks and Minnows before?!?  I made up a new one "Lions and Monkeys" (our school mascot is the Lion).   Simple concept.  We are in our scooter unit.  Objective for today was using our muscles to move on a scooter!  So, three students were "lions."  They were protecting their "den."  These three students were on a scooter, armed with a  1/2 noodle.  Everyone else were "monkeys."  The monkeys goal was to get past the lions and into their den.  If they accomplished this, they got off their scooters, and walked back to the beginning, and get do it again.  If they got tagged, they put their scooter by the wall and walked on the track.  The games moved pretty quickly, and several students got to be the lion.  I restricted their use of the scooters to their bottoms or knee's only.  Simple game, kids loved it, objective as met.  With a focus on our Academic vocab words, we discussed the use of our muscles.  The students (all ages) were begging to play it again tomorrow...so of course we will! 



   During our awesome inservice on Monday, we had an incredible speaker, his name is Kevin Honeycutt.......look him up.  Now.  It doesn't matter what you teach, he is inspirational!  I believe he shared this....If you are not connected, you are disconnected.  My translation....JOIN TWITTER! 

Make a difference!
AB :)














































































































No comments:

Post a Comment