Friday, September 19, 2014

Awesome Activity!

   The last couple of days have been exiting in my PE world.  Yesterday was the first family "open gym" night of the year.  I attended the Let's Move Active Kids workshop in the Summer of 2013.  At this workshop (it's awesome, if given the chance to go, take it) we were challenged to get our students active.  I decided then that I would begin an "open gym night" for my students and their families.  Once a month last year, I held this event.  Some nights we had amazing attendance, others there were not a ton of people.  Either way, my students and their families were being active together!  When this year begin, I decided to do the open gym nights again!  These are just 45 minutes long.
         I also was able to secure a $1000 grant through Blue Cross and Blue Shield that allowed me to purchase healthy snacks for this event.  I have applied for it this year and will know in December if I receive it again!  I keep the open gym pretty simple, I just get out various equipment and let them play.  It's GREAT!  Here is a quick picture I took, right before I took in a serious game of volleyball with my 4 and 10 year old boys!  We had fun, and we were active!
 
 
     Today the excitement continued.  Each year when doing out "Sport" units, I recruit the local high school athletes to come out and do a mini clinic with my older students (3rd-5th Grade).  The kids LOVE it.  All the kids!  This year I invited all of the Fall sport programs to send athletes.  In the past it has just been Football and Volleyball, but this year we were able to add Tennis.  Hopefully in the next few years I can succeed at getting Cross Country and Soccer to come out as well.  This is a wonderful time for my students to see what they can work towards.  When saying this, I do not necessary mean in an ability way.  I have said many times, I just want my students to be active and healthy.  If they can find a sport that they love, and that is what is going to keep them active and healthy, than I accomplished something! :)  I also want my students to see what it takes to get to this level and be able to compete. 
 
     Today was simply awesome.  The kids were so excited to interact with the high school students.  I had a special needs student, who doesn't always love PE come to be and say "I am having so much fun Mrs. Baugh."  YEAH!!!!!



 
Stay with me, this is a long post.  I am just overflowing with excitement!  I finally figured out the ipad app called Aurasma (pronounced without the A...yep, kind of weird). 
So in this picture, my handout for my upcoming KAHPERD presentation is on my desk.  On that flier is the word (app) QRAFTER.  Using the Aurasma app, I scan that word and a video of my students using QRAFTER appears.  It's amazing!  My mind is going 100mph on how I can use this in PE.  Seriously.  Cannot Wait.  Can you say #PEGEEK?!?!? 
 
Have a fantastic weekend!  Cheer for your favorite team!  Make a difference!
AB


No comments:

Post a Comment