Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sometimes, it's a SCARY world!

   Everyone understands, and has expierenced that feeling of panic, you know...heart pumping a little faster, sweating coming without movement.  Well, I had that feeling yesterday.  About 20 minutes before the fact, I discovered that my gym was going to be on the "Walk through" schedule for this month.  What are walk throughs?  Well teams of adminstrators from our district walk through classrooms, look for objectives posted, engagement of the students, etc.  I had one class, then the second class of the afternoon would be the one they "walked through."   I honestly cannot tell you much about the first class, I was already rehearsing in my head how the class would go with 5-6 pairs of eyes on me.  One pair of those eyes was my principal (who knows all about me and supports me), another was the principal in charge of physical education teachers in our district, and he didn't worry me.  One of the other pairs of eyes was that of the Superintendent of Elementary education.  Those eyes worried me.  Holy Moly.  Apparently my students new to be on their best behavior, because they were AMAZING!  Zero issues.  It went fine, but man did I sweat it.....literally.

    We are wrapping up our volleyball and football unit.  Having either played, coached, or reffed volleyball for many years of my life, I started pondering drills that would be apropiate for my students.  I rememberd speedball.  This drill teaches the kids to move their feet, and to work as a team.  My students LOVED it.  Seriously, they were so into it.  Tons of effort was put out, which always makes for a happy teacher! 

     This isn't a great picture to show the action of speedball.  We are definitely adding this to the unit. 
 
Here are the steps to Speedball
1.  Students are put into two teams, one on each side of the net.  The number of students doesn't really matter, we did 6, mostly to keep it like volleyball.
2.  I used a volleylite ball, it's a little easier for the kids to throw and catch compared to the real deal.
3.  The goal is to throw the ball across the net to a place where there is not a person.
4.  If the ball hits the ground, the team who threw the ball gets a point.
5.  The ball is thrown back and fourth quickly.
6.  I used my ipad timer and we played two minute games before switching out the teams. 
7.  Establishing boundaries was important.  I also used the word boundary as a "vocab" word. 
8.  It's that simple.
 
       I have said before I love to bring the classroom idea's into the gym.  I was so excited when searching for a new bulletin board (on PE CENTRAL) to come across this gem!  Hello Common Core!  I quickly recreated it.  I wish my teacher was a little bigger, but you get the idea!  Several students have already commented on my "verb board."  It's a little hard to read in this picture, but the students (and the classroom mouse) are guessing verbs that are all related to movement.  Finally Smarty Sally says "PHYSICAL EDUCATIOM!"  Good job Smarty Sally, good job!
 
 
 
       I just (about an hour ago) submitted my handout for the 2014 KAHPERD convention.  I had so much fun designing this handout on the app COMIC LIFE.  I was able to put overlays (AURASMA) into the handout, which makes this #PEGEEK squeal a little!  It's awesome! 
 
NEW APP I LOVE:  fooducate, this app will allow the students to scan various foods and it will tell them a grade for the food, and why that grade is appropriate.  Cannot wait to put this into action!
 
Have a great day, make a difference, keep trying, keep dreaming!  Of course, CONNECT!  Find your #PLN! 
 
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment