Monday, December 1, 2014

Fun Frisbee world!

   I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  The Baugh's certainly did!  It was a fantastic little break, I loved spending time with my little family, as well as both of our extended families!
   Before we went to break, we continued with our Throw/Catch unit.  We added in the use of Frisbee's!  It was awesome!  We did this for three days, next year (or maybe even this Spring) we are going to do a full unit....maybe two weeks!  I love it when a unit works across all age levels, and this one did for sure!  I quickly discovered that  few of my Kinder students could throw the Frisbee as well (or maybe even better) than some of the older students!

   The pictures will give you a better idea of this all worked.  The first two days, I set up 15-16 targets for the students.  They were then divided into groups of three (a couple groups of 4).  There were three different targets, and we used my handy dandy red line as our throwing point!  I pulled out Large cones and set a ball on the top, with the idea of the Frisbee throw knocking the ball off the cone.  Another station was a hula hoop, simply attempting to throw the Frisbee and have it land in the hula hoop.  The last one (and my favorite) was the big blue buckets. (I buy them at Walmart, they are the best equipment storage/multi use containers I have).  The goal was to throw the Frisbee, have it bounce off the wall and into the bucket.  I then played music, and had the students rotate about every two minutes.  The kids loved it!  We talked about "fitness" (one of our key vocab words) and how you can be active and fit by doing a variety of things.  I helped them realize that although it seemed like they were just "having fun," they were also quite active! :) 

 
 
   The assessment part of this lesson came on day two.  We eliminated the cone and hula hoops.  Now, we were just using the blue buckets.  I had each class bring in two ipads (we have 8 teams, so two teams per ipad).  Now we had a contest (also a show of skills, but they didn't realize that).  Each team was attempting to score points by 1. hitting the bucket with the Frisbee, 2. bouncing it off the wall into the bucket, 3. just making it directly into the bucket.  I used an app call COUNTER UP (very simple, and of course free) as a scoreboard.  Each student was in charge of putting in their own score.  As long as AIRSERVER allowed, I had all ipads on the wall using the projector.  The competition level was HIGH!  This allowed me to walk around and take notice of who was throwing the right way, who was working as a team, and who was being honest when recording their scores!  It was great!!


   Sorry for the short blog today! I am finishing up my ESL work for my night class!  We started hockey this week, I have lots of plans and lots of use of technology!  I promise I will share soon!!

Get connected!
AB













No comments:

Post a Comment