Friday, December 5, 2014

My world is so rewarding!

     Last year as part of our Tiered Instruction (district Wide) I worked with Mrs. B's 5th grade classroom.  She and I worked together to come up with ipad projects for my group to do.  This summer I attended a Project Based Learning workshop.  So, fast forward to this year, and I am back working with Mrs. B.'s 5th graders during tiered instruction.  Basically, this means I spend about 30-45 minutes a few days a week, enriching these students minds.  What a privilege, right?  I think so.  Last year I started what I hope to be a tradition at Linn Elementary.  I do a hockey unit in the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas break (usually about 3 weeks).  As most educators know, this time of the year is rough....for everyone, kids and teachers!  The teachers just got a tease of a break and cannot wait for the next one, and the kids have to be peeled off the ceiling each day, or awaken from their deep sleep!  So, I decided to have a staff hockey game, where the student can watch (and correct) the skills they have been working on.  In addition, they also can earn VIP seats for this game, by meeting a certain criteria.  Insert, my 5th Grade Tiered Instruction kids.  I wanted to challenge them, make them learn from "doing."  I served as the guide, asked them meaningful questions, otherwise they "drove the car."
      Their task?  Figure out the criteria for VIP's, figure out how they want to market it to students and teachers, and how they would distribute it.  We worked on this for about 6-8 days.  It was amazing to watch leaders emerge, strategies to form, and behaviors rise up.  They not only did well, they excelled!  They made an iMovie (figuring out who would play what part, where they would record it) about the three behaviors they felt were deserving of the title of VIP.  They then realized they needed a way to get this out to the teachers.  Offering a little guidance, we came up with using QR codes!  So, with a little of my help, (logging into a secure Youtube account) they made their imovie a QR code.   Then they decided each teacher would need a flyer, and each "pod" would need a poster.  Awesome.  Rewarding.  Great kids!

Sorry, no PE today, just awesome students, doing awesome things!
Stay tuned for a massive Hockey post....it's coming! After 5 days of hockey, we did a quick "knowledge/vocab" quiz today, using an app called Socrative.  WONDERFUL!

Have a great weekend!  ROCK CHALK!
AB

1 comment:

  1. Be sure and post pictures of your hockey game and VIPers!

    ReplyDelete